Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Great Summer Reads

I usually read a dozen or so books during the summer -- by the pool on a lounge chair with a tall glass of limeade, if I'm lucky. This year, as I'm starting to pack up all of my books for the big move, I'm trying to decide what to keep out to have available when the mood strikes.

Some of my favorite reads from past summers include a few of the books on my own blog -- notably Kavalier and Clay, if you missed that post -- but I also highly recommend The Chosen by Chaim Potok (a book I've probably read 5 or 6 times and one that never gets old), anything by Agatha Christie but especially featuring her Belgian detective, Hercule Poirot, and books set in far-off, exotic locations (whether by space or time) that you can escape to or adventures you can be a part of, like The Queen's Fool and Catcher in the Rye and Tom Sawyer.

This summer, I've been inspired by my students to read Nick Hornby's How to be Good and C. S. Lewis' Till We Have Faces.

What's on your summer reading list?

2 comments:

  1. I finished Nick Hornby's SLAM! and found it a fun read. Haven't decided what I am going to read this summer though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I decided to give an author I've always been afraid-literally- of a try: Stephen King. I looked around a little and found that the best one to start with might be The Dark Tower series, the first of which is The Gunslinger. So far the imagery has really impressed me. The pictures he seems to paint pop right out of the page.

    ReplyDelete