Tuesday, October 23, 2012

the time I got to leave the house for more than 24 hours. in a row.

So, one of my birthday resolutions was to go on a vacation without Lorelei. I think one night away counts, don't you?

edit: thanks for the compliments on my skirt! It's a vintage find from a great little shop near where we live.

That's us, looking nervous just before we left to spend 22.5 hours in Chicago. (With travel time on either side, we were gone for 28, but who's counting?) Except for the part about getting food poisoning or a 24-hour stomach flu (not fun, and it made me miss my craft fair on Sunday), we had an amazing time! Brahms CSO concert, leisurely morning at the Art Institute, great meals out (that I mostly kept down), and strolling in the autumn sunshine. Plus, Lorelei had the time of her life being the doted-upon granddaughter.

A few pics of our adventure:



 the view from our 21st floor hotel room


 Happened across two weddings -- if I were Beth, I would have gotten a picture of the bride huddled with her bridesmaids on a street corner under all the groomsmen's umbrellas, but I was too slow with my camera. This couple got married in the morning at the Art Institute -- how cool!

the required self-shot photo op of us looking goofy and happy



9 comments:

  1. Oh you two are so cute! So glad you got to go on a mini vacation, my hubby and I need to do this! and sorry to hear about the food poisoning, that is no fun. Hope your feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A few things: I love your skirt. You and your husband are adorable together. If I could, I'd give you a high five for taking some time for yourself. That illness had awful timing. I'm glad you showed it who was boss and had fun anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, Emily! I edited the post above - I found it at a really great vintage clothing shop in my small town. I actually bought it for my mom (I'm still not buying clothes for myself this year), but it didn't fit her. She very kindly passed it on to me :)

      Delete
  4. Adorable pictures! Although it was short lived, I'm glad you got away!
    ♥ Kyna

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys are SO CUTE! And I love your outfit in that first picture! AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a wonderful trip! I also love your outfit in the first picture. Neat skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! Good for you for getting away! Sorry about the food poisoning though... how unfortunate. I wonder if all parents receive some sort of punishment for spending their first nights away from their babies? (In our case, my husband had to stay in Minnesota for a week for a family emergency while our kiddo and I went to visit my family. So much for the benefits of a relaxing, romantic getaway.)

    ReplyDelete