Tuesday, January 7, 2014

one week later.

Thank you, so much, for your words of encouragement on my last post. It made me feel good to know that I'm not alone in my pursuit of this year of intentional living - and to know that you just might be back here to share your thoughts with me even if I don't spend hours finding just the right photograph to make this post Pinterest-worthy. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Living with intentionality feels really good. It's empowering to be behind the steering wheel of my life instead of a hapless passenger in the backseat. Best decision for a birthday resolution I've made ever, probably. And it's so nice to have just one thing to focus on instead of a whole list - to have it be a lens through which to view my day instead of something I have to squeeze in to my limited schedule or, worse, something I have to stop doing that is really really hard to give up.

Not that it's easy - because it really is making me have to squeeze things in and cut things out. But this time, it's okay to fail at it, especially at first, while I'm figuring out what my intentions are. I found myself walking towards the couch when both girls were napping (okay, to be perfectly honest this happened one time in the last week) and then the question popped into my head: "Do I want to be the person who watches bad reruns instead of getting something done?" Answer: nope. Instead, I made about two dozen new items for my Etsy shop reopen next week and put away all of the straggler Christmas decor that was cluttering up the house. I had the phone in my hand, ready to order pizza for dinner, and then the question floated by: "Do I want to be the person who serves her daughter pizza even when there are perfectly healthy things to make and serve in the fridge and cupboard?" Answer: maybe on a really really bad night, but tonight I can make the effort. So I cooked this. Did Lorelei eat it? No, but that's beside the point anyway.

And sometimes I don't hear the question in time, like today when I should have been enjoying Phoebe during a rare happy awake time moment but instead was checking my email. But tomorrow, I will be mobile-device free when she's up, because I hear the question now, and that's the kind of mom I want to be.

And you? How are your resolutions so far? The weather certainly isn't doing anybody any favors when it comes to motivation to do anything other than cower under the covers...

No comments:

Post a Comment