Sunday, November 13, 2016

the only answer I have: do more than just show up.

I'm writing again. Not much - just little bits - but I'm writing. None of it is finished yet, but I'm getting my sea legs again after a summer off and a life full of moving and mothering and making. I'll share some soon.

I've been thinking a lot about what we do when the path ahead is difficult, uncharted, or frightening to us, and I keep coming back to something I had the opportunity to share when I was asked to give a commencement address at the school where I taught in Colorado. I struggled for weeks, months really, to decide what I wanted to share with my beloved students who had put their faith in me to say something meaningful to them as they went off into the Big World. I tend to be someone who wants a ready-to-use map to everywhere (the more landmarks and road signs included, the better), but I hope I did right by them by pointing them in the way of asking the right questions instead of getting some Cliff's Notes version of an easy answer.

If you want to read the speech in its entirety, you can click here.


No comments:

Post a Comment