Friday, September 30, 2011

test kitchen.

I saw a recipe on pinterest that I just had to try, since it claimed to take just 5 minutes and looked totally divine: a personal-sized Nutella cake in a mug!



The original posting, picture, and recipe comes from Babble. Here's the run-down.

Combine all of the following ingredients in a large mug: 4 tablespoons each of self-rising flour and sugar; 3 tablespoons each of cocoa powder, Nutella, milk, and vegetable oil; one egg. Whisk until everything is well mixed. Pop it in the microwave for 1.5-3 minutes on high, depending on your microwave wattage.

After trying the recipe, I'd suggest the following adaptations:

1. Unless you have a gigantic mug, this won't work well for you. I tried to make it in a 15 ounce one and it still overflowed! Cut the recipe down by half.

2. Whisking the ingredients together in the mug and getting everything fully mixed is challenging. Better idea -- use the original recipe amounts, mix in a separate container, and then divide into two mugs and share with a friend.

3. I couldn't taste the Nutella, which was the whole point of making this. I haven't tried it, but I'd suggest doubling the amount listed (or, if you're halving the recipe, leave it at 3 tbsp). It was still very chocolatey and good, though.

4. Don't have self-rising flour? You can make it yourself by adding 1.5 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/2 a teaspoon of salt to a cup of the all-purpose kind. Or, for this recipe, 3/8ths of a teaspoon of baking powder and 1/16th of a teaspoon of salt to the 4 tablespoons of flour.

If you try it, let me know how it turns out! Could be a great treat for a movie night at home, which is pretty much my plan for the weekend. Have a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment